One of the big questions of life is – what is Truth? In this episode, it is revealed that Truth is your Spiritual Self, Consciousness of which improves your life experience. Listen how.
Nearby lived a family who ran the local food store. They had a beautiful daughter. Suddenly, without any warning, her parents discovered she was pregnant. She would not confess who the father was, but after much harassment at last she named Hakuin.
Furious, the parents confronted the Master demanding a confession. “Is that so?” was all he would say. The scandal spread around the village. Nobody spoke to him. They gossiped about him and condemned him behind his back. Far and wide, Hakuin lost his Pure reputation. However, he was unperturbed.
After the child was born it was brought to Hakuin. Without complaint, he took very good care of the child.
A year later the mother of the child could stand it no longer. She told her parents the truth; the real father of the child was a young man who worked in the fishmarket.
The parents went immediately to Hakuin to apologize, ask forgiveness, and to get the child back.
“Is that so?” said Hakuin as he yielded the child.
Why didn’t Hakuin defend himself against the injustice of slander and condemnation if he was innocent?
Because there is no injustice in Oneness. To defend himself would be to admit the reality of the injustice. Purity cannot be tarnished, and, as such is indifferent to the concept of reputation. He didn’t need defend a good reputation or restore a defiled reputation. Furthermore, in the end, he didn’t seek forgiveness because there was nothing to forgive if no injustice was done in the first place.
Only those of us steeped in duality feel the need to defend ourselves.
- Hakuin Ekaku Zenji (almostfalling.com)
I was pondering the promised strategies for effective meditation, and realized there needs to be some further Consciousness around the “ego”. Because without that foundation, the ego will thwart your meditation efforts. So, haha, i guess this is the first strategy for effective meditation….
The definition of “ego” varies enormously throughout philosophical and psychological literature. To add to the confusion, there is an Ego with a capital “E” which seems to pop its head up in Spiritual texts.
So, what is the difference? The one with which we normally identify is the ego, but the Truth is, You, We are the Ego. Let’s examine some differences:
- There is only One Ego, I. Infinite, Eternal and Immortal. On the other hand, There are around 7 billion egos, all competing for their share of what they believe to be a finite, time-poor, dying universe.
- When we start the sentence with “I”, in thought or speech, we are referring to the ego. i says, “i want this food”, “i need that car”, “i want this success”, “i need this holiday”. It’s motivation is to “get” because it believes it doesn’t have enough. Wanting and needing are the mother of envy and jealousy, maturing into corruption and greed. By contrast, I Is the Source of Thought and can only be Heard or Discerned. When the ego generates thought, that isn’t Truth. So when “you” think or speak, be aware that you limit yourself.
- i has endless opinions about everything, derived from a sense of lack. i says,”i hate that politician”, “i despise that celebrity”. i is always right and the other ego over there is wrong. Bigotry, prejudice, xenophobia, injustice and inequity follow. On the other hand, I Is neutral.
- i is afraid of not getting what it wants and needs, or losing what it has. Ultimately it is afraid of death. “i fear that illness”, “i’m afraid of snakes” “i’m anxious about that exam”, “i fear old age”. I cannot fear if I am already All.
- i blames others for its flaws, failures and vices, but claims credit for any talents, successes or virtues, a recipe for failure. I cannot succeed or fail. I just Is.
- i’s motto is “it’s all about me”. it craves attention and praise. Fame is its goal. Humiliation is its fear. I Is Oneness, so there’s no need to pump Its Self up or put others down.
- i’s modus operandi is self-preservation. It will manipulate, cheat, steal or even kill to save its self, its ideology or its nation. i gets away with murder whereas I can’t kill or be killed because there Is only One Ego.
The Ego transcends the ego and is in fact our True Self, diametrically opposed to the limited and lacking ego with a small “e”. The Ego Is the One Universal Consciousness individualized as each one of Us. Its nature is Love. You know it as the Still, Small Voice, Your inner Voice. But we can only Hear it, if we are quiet enough. Remember, don’t speak or think because you just encourage the ego.
If we are silent and patient we can discern the Love of our Ego. It reassures us that we will be alright. Can you imagine Love needing or wanting for anything? Can Love be hateful or afraid? Does Love draw attention to its Self? Or leave others out? Does Love kill or die? If we answered “No” to these questions, we begin to realize the ego is not us. Love Is All there Is and We are that! Only that!
ego verses Ego. There’s really no competition. With which one do you identify?
As humans, there is something that we have missed that has prevented us from experiencing Permanent Health, Prosperity, Security, Justice and Love. Without this something, every effort to attain these conditions is futile and the experience will continue to elude us.
Yet, this something is so fundamental, so simple, so close at hand that you will laugh out loud when you Realize what it is. It Is Consciousness and Consciousness Is You.
However, if you are unconscious that You are Consciousness, a sense of limitation and lack become your experience. In My last blogpost, I said I would explore the reasons why the ego was inevitable. Well, Man (not gender specific) is the only species that can refer to its self as “I”. i says, “i am strong”, “i am intelligent”, “i am good”. But in thinking this about its self, it became unconscious of its Source. I, Consciousness, wouldn’t say these things about My Self. I Embody these things. But as soon as i quantifies and qualifies its self, it sets its self up for lack of these things. All of a sudden i can be weak, i can be stupid, i can be bad…and the list goes on…i can be sick, i can be poor, i can be injured etc.
Unconsciousness of Our True Identity “causes” all the discords of our life – sickness, poverty, loss, injustice, insecurity etc. Then why haven’t we recognized it before? Well, the “we” asking that question is human consciousness, the ego, i, and it must be exposed as false for Consciousness to be Realized. Understandably, the ego doesn’t want to be annihilated. Therefore, the few times in history that the Truth has been Revealed, human consciousness has rejected it. The irony is that we are hanging onto an identity that, from the outset, was obsolete. There Is only One Consciousness and You are, I Is, that.
You See, Consciousness Is All there Is. There can’t be anything separate from Consciousness or it wouldn’t be conscious. If You can accept this, then you must agree that there is only One Consciousness and It Is Infinite (It must include everything and everyone). Furthermore, Being Infinite, Consciousness can’t include anything destructive or limited or it wouldn’t be Infinite anymore. If there is no destructive or limiting influence, then Consciousness must Be Abundant and Permanent. Consciousness embodies all your Good: Love, Peace, Health and Security, Abundantly and Permanently. We embody All this!
You See i was inevitable, but never True!
Mind sciences and philosophy revolve around the “fact” of the ego. Consequently we have accepted this “ego” as our personal identity.
But should we be accepting the ego without question? When we do, we accept all the lacks and limitations of its experience as our reality. We sell ourselves short through this unconscious act.
In this blog, I call the ego i. Let’s examine some common utterances of i:
- i am poor
- i am sick
- i am afraid
Now, just supposing You were Conscious of Your True Identity, which is the embodiment of Infinite Abundance, Health and Love, could You (as I, Consciousness) be any of these things? Can Infinite Abundance be poor? Can Infinite Health be sick? Can Infinite Love be afraid?
To look at it another way, if You Were Conscious of Your True Identity as I, where would i be? There is only One “I”, therefore i is not. So where does that leave poverty, sickness and fear? Nowhere because, in fact, i is an hypnotic influence, tricking us into believing we can’t be Permanently Prosperous, Healthy or Safe. i is the cause and effect of the whole hypnotic trance we call humanity. As long as we accept i as our identity, we must accept its limitations.
Instead of looking for the reasons why i is sick in order to make it well (which is very noble), why not see that the fundamental problem is one of incorrect identification? You are I, not i.
So, to answer the question, “is the ego necessary?” Inevitable Yes, but necessary, No.
In my next post I will explore why the ego was inevitable.
Meanwhile, the ego’s feathers might be a little ruffled by this post, even hostile. How is yours feeling?