For those of us seeking Spiritual Enlightenment, we are constantly being reminded that the hurdle to our goal is “resistance to what IS”.
Surely then, the first question that arises is what is “IS”? And the second question follows – who or what is resisting this “IS”?
Let’s answer the second question first because it is the “who” that doesn’t understand the meaning of “IS” that “causes” the unenlightenment in the first place. The reason for this is that ignorance of what “IS” produces the appearance of duality which keeps humanity in the dark about the Principle of Oneness, “IS-ness”. You cannot know Oneness while entertaining twoness in your consciousness. Therefore, to tell this “who” that it is resisting what IS, is like telling the dark that it is resisting Light. Dark is a state of resistance which produces a “me” that thinks the dark is its reality. Consequently, dark isn’t resisting the Light. The dark doesn’t even know that the Light exists, so how can it be resisting it?.
Dark is just an absence of Light. That is, dark is without substance or law. It only seems to have power and jurisdiction in the absence of Light.
Nevertheless, human consciousness accepts duality, effectively giving evil (the dark) power over Good (the Light). Consequently, humans think disease, crime, natural disasters, poverty and all other discords are part of “what is”. So to tell humans to practice non-resistance is to tell them to submit to these conditions in the hope that, by accepting these conditions, we will somehow miraculously understand what “IS”. But this is like looking for Light in the dark, trying to find what “IS” in what “isn’t”, which simply feeds fear, despair and hopelessness because it can’t be done!
Therefore, from the position of duality, non-resistance only embeds the very conditions that we are now expected to not-resist.
So we come back to our first question. What is “IS”? IS is Oneness – Perfection, Peace, Love and Harmony. This is our True Nature, in fact our only Nature. Therefore we cannot reach Oneness through non-resistance because it would imply the reality of a nature lacking perfection, peace, love and harmony, thereby blocking Consciousness of what IS!
- If we are not Conscious that Perfection IS, then we are effectively being instructed to not-resist imperfection.
- If we are not Conscious that Love IS, then we are effectively being instructed to not-resist hate.
- If we are not Conscious that Health IS, then we are effectively being instructed to not-resist disease.
- If we are not Conscious that Abundance IS, then we are effectively being instructed to not-resist poverty.
- If we are not Conscious that Peace IS, then we are effectively being instructed to not-resist war.
Now we can see what Jesus really meant when he said “Resist not evil”. He meant that by resisting evil, we give it reality. He didn’t mean submit to evil. In the Consciousness of what IS, non-resistance is seen as a natural result of an Enlightened Consciousness, NOT a means to gain Enlightenment. Because you can’t gain something which already IS through not-resisting something that isn’t.
- Avoid the New Age Consciousness Trap at All Costs (epages.wordpress.com)
- A man who pursues virtue consciously is unvirtuous (vincarriuolo.typepad.com)
- Consciousness for dummies. (susanpearson.me)